A Husband and Wife Art Collaborative - by Ria and Gary Hills

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Crab Cake


crabcake drawingTo read about how this blog started click here.
Here's the first drawing Gary gave me. I love it. As you can see in the painting below I carried it a step further by using an actual cake for the composition.

Then I had to decide what kind of crab to use. Blue, hermit, coral . . . did you know that there are 45,000 types of crabs?!

So I went for blue since they are so colorful, and delicious.

crab cake pastel paintingI showed the painting to Gary and he said, "Where are the eyes and antennae?"
Hmmm . . .I really tried but it didn't work well compositionally. Besides, hermit crabs have the cutest pop-out eyes and large antennae. The blue crab's eyes are tucked inside the head.
Maybe I'll try a version with a hermit crab also.
Speaking of crustaceans, Gary cooked an excellent lobster chowder for dinner tonight. He cooks three days a week on average so I can devote more time to painting. Besides that he loves cooking.

Lobster for the next painting?

5" x 7" pastel painting, unframed
You can purchase this painting for $120 with free shipping and handling in the US. Please email me for International shipping rates or other inquiries.

3 comments:

  1. Such a funny painting! I can envision those eyes peeking just above the icing on the top of the cake...The thought of crab antennae also sticking out is rather gruesome! LOL Not a big fan of seafood, though I admit that I do love crab! Can't wait to see what is next!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! The possibilities are endless...

    ReplyDelete